Re: lapb module irq context problems

To: eis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: lapb module irq context problems
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:20:48 -0800
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   Date:   Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:32:35 +0100
   From: Henner Eisen <eis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

   With 3, there are two options
   a) the lapb module mantains an own backlog queue and schedules a tasklet
      that dequeues and processess the incoming frame.
   b) the lapb module creates a `pseudo' network interface and a packet handler,
      incoming frames are queued to the standard network interface backlog
      queue by means of netif_rx() and the packet handler basically calls
      lapb_data_received().

   I'd prefer b), or are there any reasons to favor another approach?

I would recommend to do #3 but make it identical to
lapb_data_received() except that it explicitly uses kfree_skb_irq().
Let the core networking "defer to softnet" this action for you.

Or does something prevent such a straight-forward transformation?

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@xxxxxxxxxx