Re: [patch] NE2000

To: Paul Gortmaker <p_gortmaker@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch] NE2000
From: Peter Denison <peterd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 14:01:24 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, pavel rabel <pavel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

[snip discussion about removing PCI code from ne.c]

> [ I've several other 8390 related patches I've been sitting on - trying
> to not contribute to the delay of 2.4.0 unless explicitly asked, such
> as the 8390.h get_module_symbol deletion.  Other 8390 patches I have
> are a separated Tx timeout for 8390.c, kill off dev->rmem_start/end
> and use ioremap() where required, and replace old check/request_region()
> with code that makes use of the newer resource structures. ]

        I'd thought it was quite important to get drivers doing
ioremap() properly before 2.4.0, since the whinging messages along the
lines of "io mapaddr 0x????? not valid at ..." are only really going to be
tolerated in a development kernel, and will look a bit shoddy in 2.4.0.
        The complaining has been there for quite a while, so we really
should have got our finger out and done the ioremap() thing (or at least
used isa_xxx functions) where needed. I agree, however, that thinking
seriously hard before delaying 2.4.0 now is a Good Thing (TM).

--
Peter Denison <peterd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Linux Driver for Promise DC4030VL cards.