Re: [patch] NE2000

To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch] NE2000
From: Donald Becker <becker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 19:40:21 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Paul Gortmaker <p_gortmaker@xxxxxxxxx>, linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Paul Gortmaker wrote:
> > On a related note, there are a handful of drivers that register ioports
> > (and IRQ) with the name dev->name (e.g. eth0) as opposed to a more
> > meaningful model name (e.g. "3c503/16"). And some drivers do one for
> For ISA, it's more informative.  For PCI, it's less informative because
> the requested resource appears in /proc/ioports underneath the parent
> PCI device.

Using dev->name is much more meaningful.
I switched over all of my drivers to use dev->name a few years ago.

> However, the only overriding reason to put dev->name into request_region
> was for hotplug reasons, because it was otherwise impossible to build an

Most people with multiple network adapters use the same board type.  Seeing
a list of identical board names isn't very useful when you are trying to do
something like map interrupt counts to interface statistics.

Donald Becker                           becker@xxxxxxxxx
Scyld Computing Corporation             http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210               Second Generation Beowulf Clusters
Annapolis MD 21403                      410-990-9993