Re: [vortex, eepro100] True on TRANSMIT ERROR TIMEOUT

To: netdev <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [vortex, eepro100] True on TRANSMIT ERROR TIMEOUT
From: Tres Hofmeister <tres@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:19:33 -0600
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 2000.06.15, Andrew Morton wrote:
:
: Let me quote "Brian" from last week:
:
:  ``The web servers (~10Mb/s) last about 3 days on <NIC>.  With all
:    the Linux zealots talking about taking on Sun and the "enterprise,"
:    I'd drop dead laughing if they weren't my servers.''
:
: Ouch.

        Indeed.  I'm in the same boat as "Brian."  I've tried everything
I can think of to keep our web server up.  In the end, it's looking like
the answer is using watchdog(8) to monitor the Ethernet interface, with
a repair script which reinitializes it when it fails.  I've currently
got a NetGear Tulip card in the machine, but I've had problems with
the vortex and eepro100 drivers as well.

        I *never* thought I'd be fighting off our NT pushers because
our Linux web server seemed unreliable... :(  Oh, well.

[I'm on the vortex list, not the netdev list, by the way...]

--
Tres Hofmeister <tres@xxxxxxxxxxxx>      http://www.rap.ucar.edu/~tres/
Research Applications Program, National Center for Atmospheric Research