Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???

To: Jes Sorensen <jes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
From: Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 06:35:46 +0000
Cc: Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andrey Savochkin <saw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rob@xxxxxxxxxxx, buytenh@xxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jes Sorensen wrote:

> >> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> >>
> jamal> Did i miss anything?
> jamal>
> Gleb> Yes. If you are going to implement VLANs as you've just
> Gleb> described you will have to change each L3 protocol
> Gleb> implementation to support VLANs.
> >>  Gleb, I am afraid i didnt understand you. You mean broken programs
> >> like DHCP?
>
> Gleb> No, I mean IPV6, IPX, DECnet, appletalk etc.
>
> You mean all the ones that are practically unused (and the used ones
> which should never have been used in the first place: IPX + AppleTalk).
>
> Jes

IPV6 and IPX unused?!! Perhaps we should remove all these protocols from
source tree :)

I don't know how close you follow this thread but here is what Matthew
Geier wrote:

 "It is possible at some stage I would like to run a server with a foot
in
at least 4 VLANs so that people accessing that server would not have a
router hop. (And since AppleTalk (and IPX for other departments) is at
least as important as TCP/IP no layer 3 switch vendor is game, and I
can't
put that many AppleTalk stations in the one VLAN with out an AppleTalk
broadcast meltdown....)

 Any VLAN implementation that doesn't allow me to fire up Samba and
NetAtalk
have have the 2 programs just discover the interfaces and do the right
SMB broadcasting, and AppleTalk stuff on each, isn't actually any use. I
certainly wouldn't be trying to replicate the routing functions of the
CISCO
RSM cards in the 2 central switching centres on my Campus.
 I just want applications to run..."

--
                        Gleb.