Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???

To: Jes Sorensen <jes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
From: Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 06:35:46 +0000
Cc: Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@xxxxxxxxxx>, Andrey Savochkin <saw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rob@xxxxxxxxxxx, buytenh@xxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jes Sorensen wrote:
> >> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> >>
> jamal> Did i miss anything?
> jamal>
> Gleb> Yes. If you are going to implement VLANs as you've just
> Gleb> described you will have to change each L3 protocol
> Gleb> implementation to support VLANs.
> >>  Gleb, I am afraid i didnt understand you. You mean broken programs
> >> like DHCP?
> Gleb> No, I mean IPV6, IPX, DECnet, appletalk etc.
> You mean all the ones that are practically unused (and the used ones
> which should never have been used in the first place: IPX + AppleTalk).
> Jes

IPV6 and IPX unused?!! Perhaps we should remove all these protocols from
source tree :)

I don't know how close you follow this thread but here is what Matthew
Geier wrote:

 "It is possible at some stage I would like to run a server with a foot
at least 4 VLANs so that people accessing that server would not have a
router hop. (And since AppleTalk (and IPX for other departments) is at
least as important as TCP/IP no layer 3 switch vendor is game, and I
put that many AppleTalk stations in the one VLAN with out an AppleTalk
broadcast meltdown....)

 Any VLAN implementation that doesn't allow me to fire up Samba and
have have the 2 programs just discover the interfaces and do the right
SMB broadcasting, and AppleTalk stuff on each, isn't actually any use. I
certainly wouldn't be trying to replicate the routing functions of the
RSM cards in the 2 central switching centres on my Campus.
 I just want applications to run..."