2.4 kernel networking and SMP

To: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 2.4 kernel networking and SMP
From: "Jacob Avraham" <jacoba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 02:09:20 +0200
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Greetings,

I'm designing a new router product and would like to use Linux as the s/w
platform.
The system is going to have several CPUs (probably 5), and the majority of
the time the
system is going to be in the kernel networking layers, doing packet
forwarding, filtering and so on.
My impression of Linux is that up to 2.2, the SMP kernel has coarse-grain
preemption points,
so basically most of the time one CPU will do the hard work in the
networking layers, while the others
are locked out.

I read somewhere that 2.4 has improved in this area.
Can you tell me what level of parallelism do I get from the networking
layers (forwarding, filtering, NAT),
or point me to some reading material about it? (beside the SMP HOWTO and
source code of course..)?

Thanks,

Jacob Avraham