Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
From: Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 12:25:23 +0000
Cc: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@xxxxxxxxxx>, rob@xxxxxxxxxxx, buytenh@xxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, gleb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
jamal wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Ben Greear wrote:
>
> > Mitchell Blank Jr wrote:
> >
> > > (selecting source IPs for outgoing packets is taken care by the
> > > routing code, right?!?)
> >
> > I hope someone has a good answer here...I certainly have no idea!
> >

> And yet you made the loudest noise;-> Ok, ok i take that back.
> Indeed the routing slow path is affected and i would think this is very
> critical.
> The point is i see no need for us to make any change at this point just so
> that we can accomodate VLANS; which in my opinion is brokenness at its
> best.

It seams that you suppose that if you don't need vlans, nobody needs
vlans.
You will be surprised, but some people find them useful. :)

> Andrey brought the best points so far. Just because something is broken
> doesnt mean we need to continue doing it.
> Packet mungling does not equate to device. It does not equate to socket.
> It is just packet mungling! We have netfilter and packet type for that.
> A VLAN as far as i have seen is a packet mungler.
>
> Regarding Zebra: i believe they use the name "interface" but really
> mean a "circuit"; you could have many circuits within the same
> interface of which some could be just simple unicast sockets in an
> NBMA mode. An interface is brought up/down etc but does not need to be
> abstracted as a device.

I've looked at Zebra code. 'shutdown' command directly communicates with
the kernel using zebra interface name as kernel interface name. So it
seams that in order to use interface in zebra one should have the same
interface in kernel. This can be changed of course.

--
                        Gleb.