Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 08:27:11 -0700
Cc: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@xxxxxxxxxx>, rob@xxxxxxxxxxx, buytenh@xxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, gleb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
jamal wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Ben Greear wrote:
>
> > Mitchell Blank Jr wrote:
> >
> > > (selecting source IPs for outgoing packets is taken care by the
> > > routing code, right?!?)
> >
> > I hope someone has a good answer here...I certainly have no idea!
> >

> And yet you made the loudest noise;-> Ok, ok i take that back.
> Indeed the routing slow path is affected and i would think this is very
> critical.

In the original post about the linear search, there was a question as to
whether or not it was really called that often.  If it is, then I think
it should be fixed to become constant-time anyway, if at all possible.
Walking five devices (lo, dummy, eth0, eth1, ppp0  (for example)) is
a performance hit in itself, without counting any new exotic devices we're
dreaming up.

I was hoping someone could tell us how often that code was called, and why.

I haven't had time to look at the kernel yet, maybe this evening....

Ben

--
Ben Greear (greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  http://www.candelatech.com
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)