Possible bug in Space.c in 2.4.0-test1

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Possible bug in Space.c in 2.4.0-test1
From: Bruce Merry <bmerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 17:32:47 +0200 (SAST)
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello

I'm writing because I think I've found a fault in drivers/net/Space.c in the
Linux kernel version 2.4.0-test1. I say "think" because
a) Changing it made my network card start working, but it could be that I
hacked it instead of doing things The Right Way
b) It could be that it has the be done the present way for some other
configuration (e.g. modules vs. compiled in), and that the real fault is
somewhere else (e.g. I think the FIXME at the top of Space.c refers to this)

Anyway, enough waffling. In Space.c there is a chunk of code (starting at
line 542) that statically creates a linked list of ethernet devices. The
device name for all of them is "eth%d". I haven't traced what happens with
modules, but with a monolithic kernel these names are compared to parameters
passed on the kernel command line (e.g. ether=12,0x240,eth0 for my ISA
NE2000 card) to pass the correct cards the correct info. However it doesn't
make sense to me that you should specify ether=...eth%d for any ethernet
card (if nothing else, you have no way to distinguish between them). I
changed the "eth%d"'s in Space.c to eth0, eth1, ... and recompiled, and
after that it picked up the network card and nothing else has died, so I'm
guessing that that was the right thing to do.

B4N
Bruce
| Bruce Merry (Entropy)            | bmerry at iafrica dot com       |
| Proud user of Linux!             | http://www.cs.uct.ac.za/~bmerry |
|         Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7 of your life.          |