Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???

To: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rob@xxxxxxxxxxx, buytenh@xxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, gleb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 802.1q Was (Re: Plans for 2.5 / 2.6 ???
From: Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 12:45:48 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
My $0.02 (CDN)...

I think that one of the fundamental issues involved here is that the
networking code relies on network devices and sockets as the basic
packet accepting and packet generating objects.   What we are seeing
here is that we may want to have some other kind of basic object to
work with (that is, if we don't want VLAN's to be represented by
network devices).

I would like to suggest that people take a look at the "netgraph"
architecture for BSD.  I think that the kind of issues that people
have raised in this discussion can be dealt with in a much simpler
manner in such an architecture.

For those of you not familiar with netgraph, here's a link to an
introduction, though a quick search will reveal many more resources:

http://www.daemonnews.org/200003/netgraph.html

Michal Ostrowski
mostrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx