Re: [patch] TCP throughput after 2.2.17-pre1

To: davem@xxxxxxxxxx (David S. Miller)
Subject: Re: [patch] TCP throughput after 2.2.17-pre1
From: Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 10:47:01 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: andrewm@xxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, alan@xxxxxxxxxx, kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> The change aparently came from Alexey to cure some
> deadlock issues.

Its from me.  Its critical to fix the problem

> Someone needs to sort this out correctly and I'd like to ask
> Alan to back this out until a better fix is found.

Its fixed a huge range of hangs especially on SMP boxes. Its staying until
the proper fix is done. That probably needs a sock_wmalloc_err() and also
the new code path waking on the socket kfreeing a buffer.

Right at the moment its a huge win having it in 2.2.17pre because I can
actually look at the few remaining 'it hung' reports and work on those. 2.2.17
we have to fix this properly - neither the hack fix nor ignoring it are
options.

Alan