Re: IPv4_MAPPED destination addresses

To: sogor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sogor Laszlo)
Subject: Re: IPv4_MAPPED destination addresses
From: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:26:27 +0400 (MSK DST)
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello!

> > > that is not IPv6-capable. In addition to its use in the API this protocol
> > > uses IPv4-mapped addresses in the IPv6 packets to refer to an IPv4 node.

After thinking a bit I understood one evident thing eventually.
(I apologize that process took so long time 8))

SIIT is absolutely incompatible with standard transition mechanisms
and cannot co-exist with them on one machine and even on one link.
And it is not negative, it is quite positive statement.

Essentially, you have to create new compile time option
(CONFIG_IPV6_ONLY), grep kernel source and delete _ALL_
the places, where mapped IPv6 addresses are checked or created.
In SIIT mode mapped addresses have nothing special. After this
all the things will work.

Please, send me patch after you will make this.

I am not sure that it will be ever included to kernel
(SIIT is too semantically broken to be takeseriously),
but at least we will have something to include.

Alexey