tx_timeout and timer serialisation

To: "netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: tx_timeout and timer serialisation
From: Andrew Morton <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 01:19:41 +1000
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
In 3c59x we have a timer routine for media selection.  It is set up with
add_timer().  It is called from a BH (or whatever we call BH's in 2.3)

We also have the tx_timeout routine which is called from the netdev
layer.  Another add_timer function.

We also have hard_start_xmit() which appears to be called from all sorts
of contexts.

These three functions can potentially tread upon each others toes and
hence need serialisation.

In 2.3, is the driver provided any serialisation guarantees, or do we go
it alone?

In 2.2: same question.

Am I correct in believing that in 2.2, BH handlers were serialised wrt
SMP, but that in 2.3 they are not?

Thanks, Alexey :)

--
-akpm-