Re: coverage

To: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: coverage
From: Andrew Morton <andrewm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:16:51 +0000
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > I use 'ping -l 100000'
>
> This does not help. Preloading only 100 packets is possible,
> the rest simply disappear to blackhole. Actually, you can
> increase tx_queue_len on eth0 to a cosmic value sort of
> 1500000, then it will be able to generate burst of packets
> for ~10 seconds.
>
> Alexey

Well now that's odd.  I tried:

time ping -l10000 -c1 -s100 -q mnm

to send 10,000 100 byte packets.  They were all received, according to
'ifconfig eth0'.  The command took 4.47 seconds wallclock time.

That's a miserable 1.8 mbits/sec.  The sender is an ISA ne2k on 10bT.

I would expect that there would be a lot of queue pressure on the
sending side under these circumstances.  The sender is kernel 2.2.13.

--
-akpm-