Re: IPv6 send router advertisement

To: Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPv6 send router advertisement
From: Guilhem Tardy <Guilhem.Tardy@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:05:27 -0500
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> router advertisements are created by an application such as
> the router advertisement daemon (radvd) or the zebra router daemon
> (www.zebra.org).
>
> the kernel listens to router advertisements, asks for them, but does
> not create them.

OK, very instructive. I couldn't find any such piece of code in ndisc.c,
now I wonder why this decision to create the router advertisements in a
separate process. Anyway, I wrote some hack for the reception of the
router advertisement on the 2.3.x kernel to support the new bit fields
and options defined by Mobile-IPv6... and I guess now I shall hack one
of those daemons you mentioned (if it isn't done already) for them to
actually create such RAs...

> regards, andreas
> p.s. this question is about use, not development, so some newsgroup such as
> comp.os.linux.networking or a mailing list such as linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> might be a better place to ask next time. keep the traffik low, so the hackers
> can hack and improve. advanced users will answer user questions.

Oh, sorry Mr. Hacker, I would prefer to not have to ask those questions
if I could find everything I want in the IPv6 stack of Linux (and
related daemons, as you noted)... until then, I gonna have to do some
development myself. ;) It is fair to say I am not a guru with Linux (it
has been less than a year), but is it relevant here? If I can help
improve the conformance of Linux for IEEE standards, whether in the
kernel or user space, I think it is all what matters, and your help is
very much appreciated - not your disdain.

Guilhem.