Re: RFC: PPP over X

To: Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RFC: PPP over X
From: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:24:02 -0800
Cc: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, axboe@xxxxxxx, Mark Spencer <markster@xxxxxxxxx>, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>, Marc Boucher <marc@xxxxxxx>, paulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ben LaHaise <bcrl@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Serving up connections on such a scale brings up some issues.  Most
> importantly, there should be a single process which negotiates all
> incoming connections.

That's true - ideally I'd like to see pppd look more like apache.
Most of the gloabal varaiables could move to a "struct atm_instance"
and each one would have its own ppp options, plugins, etc.
Ideally there would be some way to add/delete/tweek these
connections on a running pppd (so you could have a nice little
GNOME configuration dialog giving you instant-gratification
changes)

I think this would be a really great approach for people
running terminal-servers or PPPo{E,ATM} concentrators using
linux.  At some point the "thousands of pppd processes" model
breaks down - it would be much cleaner just to have a single
process that just needs to set a bunch of async-io signals
on a bunch of {sockets,ttys} and watch /dev/ppp0.

-Mitch