Re: BUG: 2.3.35 SMP tcpdump crash

To: rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: BUG: 2.3.35 SMP tcpdump crash
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 01:14:37 -0800
Cc: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
   From: Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date:   Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:04:46 +1100

   In message <199912301714.UAA10334@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
   > Look at new skb_expand etc., backing out this fixes the problem.

   Thanks.  Looks like someone is doing what I never expected: calling
   skb_realloc_headroom() to get *less* headroom (from 32 down to 16).
   This fixes it; now I'm looking to see who's doing that.

It doesn't matter at all who is doing it, because the old
interface allowed it therefore we should continue to allow
it.

   Sorry for the delay: urgent coffee machine repairs got priority.

Patch applied, thanks.

Alexey, please remove the backout of this from future softnet
patchlets, thanks.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@xxxxxxxxxx