Re: sin6_scope_id

To: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: sin6_scope_id
From: Yuji Sekiya <sekiya@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 15:55:01 -0800
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, users@xxxxxxxx, yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
At Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:07:59 +0300 (MSK),
kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello Alexey !

> > RFC2553 says in section 2.4 that follow
> Linux does not follow this RFC. It complies to previous RFC.

Hmm... OK. I understand YOUR opnion.
YOU don't like the idea of scope_id.

I think many plathomes such as Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD,
WinNT and other commercial operating systems may support RFC2553.
Even in such situatuon, aren't you willing to support it ?
If Linux kernel don't support it, I think that Linux will become
a peculiar IPv6 implementation...

> IPv4 has the same problems as IPv6 does.

Yes, That's why I think we should improve this problem in IPv6.

> After thinking a bit, you will understand that IPv4 has both link local
> and site local and all the kinds of addresses. The only difference of IPv6
> is returning to brain-dead "classful" addressing, which was rejected
> in IPv4 years ago.

No. In case of IPv6, all interfaces have link-local address(es).

In case of IPv4, if some interfaces have a link-local address
(as you say), each addresses has different network address respectively.
(e.g. eth0 belongs to and eth0 belongs to

However in IPv6, all interfaces belong to the same network
address (fe80::). So, we must specify an outgoing interface because
kernel can't select outgoing interface automatically when destination
address is link-local.

we will try to make patch for sin6_socpe_id...

SEKIYA Yuji     USC/ISI  Computer Networks Division 7
<sekiya@xxxxxxx / sekiya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx / sekiya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>