lkcd

Dump method

To: "Matt D. Robinson" <yakker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Dump method
From: "Masashige Kotani" <m-kotani@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:26:03 +0900
Cc: <lkcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-lkcd@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Matt.

I'd like to know more about dump methods.
Could you give me further information about below 3 points ?

Because we are planning to support of multiple dump devices as shown in
former mail
I want to consider the program composition being conscious of
module structure of dumping method.

Point 1: relation of dump devices and dump methods

from Message-ID: <3B9563E8.9A432B7B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Here's where I'm going with this.  I just finished the code to allow
> people to install their own dump compression mechanisms (right now, it'll
> be RLE, I have to check in the GZIP compression module, and people can
> put in whatever one they want).  Do you want to take the next step and
> let people have chains of dump mechanisms based on the dump condition?
> I realize multiple dump devices is good, but what if you could plug in
> your own dump method with it?  Then that dump method could query the
> available dump devices configured.
>
> So you'd have:
>
> dump methods (one standard, but plug-and-play)
> dump devices (requires at least one, multiples allowed, maybe
>                       access lists for methods?)
> dump compressions (configurable, usable by some methods)
>
> Would this be the eventual goal?  That way, everything is tunable to
> their own liking.  I figured I'd ask, since if you're going to add in
> multiple dump devices, and we've gone to multiple compression types,
> you might as well go all the way and add dump methods as well.  I
> don't know what the rest of the group thinks, but this could be
> very useful.

I'm not sure about "maybe access lists for methods?".
Please give me further description.

For example, I want to know the relation between "dump devices" and
"dump methods".

Does each dump method register dump devices ?
    For example
    methodA :   /dev/sda5 & /dev/sda6 & /dev/sda7
    methodB :   /dev/sda8 & /dev/sda9

Or, Does each dump device register dump method ?
    For example
    /dev/sda5 :   mothodA
    /dev/sda6 :   mothodA
    /dev/sda7 :   mothodA
    /dev/sda8 :   mothodB
    /dev/sda9 :   mothodB

Or, Does each dump method share all dump devices?
    For example
    shared dump devices : /dev/sda5 & /dev/sda6 & /dev/sda7
    methodA :   from shared dump devices
    methodB :   from shared dump devices

Or, the other way?

Point 2: Saving to dump file

How about lcrash?
If you make own dump method module, you have to build the function
dealing with the dump method in lcrash ?
Or, should lcrash have the ability of adding function the same as
kernel module ?

Point 3: How does it goes ?

Do you have any plans to complete this facility ?

Regards,
Masashige