lkcd

[ANNOUNCE] Linux Kernel Crash Dumps version 2.0.1 for 2.3 Kernels

To: lkcd@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Linux Kernel Crash Dumps version 2.0.1 for 2.3 Kernels
From: "Matt D. Robinson" <yakker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:38:29 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-lkcd@xxxxxxxxxxx
The 2.0.1 version of the Linux Kernel Crash Dumps (LKCD) project is now
available -- this version applies to 2.3.99-pre9 kernels, and includes
some of Stephen Tweedie's patches for kiobufs (since we need them).

LKCD provides systems with the ability to save a system crash dump when
the kernel has a panic or exception, and saves the memory to your swap
space, recovering it on reboot, and creating a crash dump report which
can be sent to support personnel (or groups like 'lkml', if necessary).

Feel free to download our current patch from:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/lkcd/download/2.0.1

You can also look at and contribute to the source project on SourceForge.
The project's CVS location is at:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/?cvsroot=lkcd

And as always, information about LKCD, including news, an FAQ, etc.,
can be found at:

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/lkcd/

A few points to note:

- The x86 version works great, but we're still working on the Alpha and
  IA-64 ports.  They're coming along, however ... keep reading the LKCD
  News page for updates.  Thanks to Brian Hall for his help with the
  Alpha port.

- While you can build the vmdump code as a *module*, and it works, for now
  just build the vmdump code directly into the kernel -- the reason is
  because we still have to build the ability to perform stack traces when
  the code goes through a module.  (And that will take some time to
  complete, as it's kind of ugly to do ...)

- We are no longer limited to SCSI devices, like we were with the 2.2
  kernel version.  We're going to try to backport the 2.3 changes into
  2.2, so we have a universal version.

If you have any other questions, please send me an E-mail, or review
the FAQ on the oss.sgi.com web site.  Thanks.

--Matt