lkcd

Re: dump device

To: Josh Huber <huber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: dump device
From: "Matt D. Robinson" <yakker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:45:20 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: almesber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tigran Aivazian <tigran@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Matt Robinson <yakker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lkcd@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-lkcd@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Josh Huber wrote:

|>> This is roughly the concept that we've discussed. I didn't look at their
|>> current implementation, so there may be some differences. (My current
|>
|>This isn't how our current implementation works.  Originally, we used a
|>disk-based system that wrote the dump to a swap partition.
|>
|>Currently we're using an in-memory system that saves the dump in a
|>compressed form to memory, reboots the system (using bootimg on Intel), and
|>writes it to disk on boot via a init script.
|>
|>This system is working well -- the only issues we're having is with SMP and
|>video on Intel.

I'd recommend looking at LKCD (Linux Kernel Crash Dumps).  We are currently
finishing up the 2.3/2.4 port (which will work on devices that support
kiobufs, and will be a loadable module, and might end up being backported
to 2.2 at this stage).  You can get the latest code base from the CVS tree:

        https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=2726

... the base SourceForge LKCD effort is found at:

        https://sourceforge.net/projects/lkcd/

... and the main web page for LKCD is at:

        http://oss.sgi.com/projects/lkcd/

We're also trying to finish up an Alpha port, and we're working on an
IA64 version.  If you have any questions about this effort, send me an
E-mail, and I'll be glad to help out.

--Matt

P.S.  I'll try to release a patch in the next couple of days ... it'll
      be against 2.3.99-pre9 for now ...