linux-origin

Re: ethernet

To: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ethernet
From: dagum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Leo Dagum)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 19:38:47 -0700
Cc: linux-origin@xxxxxxxxxxx, Kanoj Sarcar <kanoj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: owner-linux-origin@xxxxxxxxxxx
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 08:54:56AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
>
> > Doing the traffic in reverse automatically fills in the hardware
> > address of the machine that the arp request came from.  This tends to
> > hide the RX overrun problem.
>
> And indeed we tend to have RX overrun problem with this driver.  I can
> easily blow my Origin off the net by just floodpinging it for a few
> seconds.  In such a case the IOC3 will deactivate RX and signal an
> interrupt.  The driver handles this by trying to reinitialize everything
> but somehow this often doesn't work.

When the driver reinitializes everything, that includes the dma buffers.
So if, e.g. the driver is also xmit'ing a packet when it gets the
error, the xmit will fail and panic the system because the dma
buffer disappears between getting set up and getting xmitted.

Not sure if that's the problem you see, but I've certainly seen
that happen.

- leo

> It also print a message, so you
> may want to check syslog / dmesg for kernel messages.  I've once again
> starred for a while on the driver code but nothing obvious.
>
>   Ralf

Leo Dagum    SGI  Mountain View, CA 94043 (650-933-2179)