linux-origin

Re: ethernet

To: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ethernet
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 01:51:14 +0200
Cc: Kanoj Sarcar <kanoj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-origin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-origin@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 08:54:56AM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:

> Doing the traffic in reverse automatically fills in the hardware
> address of the machine that the arp request came from.  This tends to
> hide the RX overrun problem.

And indeed we tend to have RX overrun problem with this driver.  I can
easily blow my Origin off the net by just floodpinging it for a few
seconds.  In such a case the IOC3 will deactivate RX and signal an
interrupt.  The driver handles this by trying to reinitialize everything
but somehow this often doesn't work.  It also print a message, so you
may want to check syslog / dmesg for kernel messages.  I've once again
starred for a while on the driver code but nothing obvious.

  Ralf