linux-origin

Re: pwdb

To: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: pwdb
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 20:24:10 +0200
Cc: Srinivasa Prasad Thirumalachar <sprasad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joan Eslinger <wombat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-origin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-linux-origin@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 03:12:53PM -0700, Ulf Carlsson wrote:

> > I think that you can actually bootp another sash, so if you get a sash that
> > is compiled with MFG_EADDR or something it may be possible.  Then again I
> > don't know anything about this stuff.  I'll look around..
>
> I should think before I write.  Of course you can't bootp it if you don't have
> a correct eaddr...

But I was able to reboot the beast from a local disk, then wrote a
kernel module that reprogrammed the NVRAM with the old Ethernet address.
Back to usability.

Anybody want to modify serial numbers?  One service contract per site is
good enough ...

(Only SNI makes that easier, includes the necessary tool in the PROM ...)

  Ralf