kdb

Re: [kdb] Request for the information to use kdb.

To: vishnu <vishnu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [kdb] Request for the information to use kdb.
From: Scott Lurndal <scott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 19:07:38 -0700
Cc: kdb@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 01:01:26PM +0530, vishnu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is vishnu.I have successfully installed kdb in my Computer which is
> running with fedora 13 .
> Iam intersted to use kdb to resolve the issues of kernel.But Iam not
> able to understand how to proceed further.I have written a module which
> generates kernel panic but now iam not able to understand how to proceed
> further by using kdb?Can u please help me providing any links which
> explains the use of kdb when panic occurs....

Use 'bt' to get a stack traceback for the task that paniced.

Use 'rd' to obtain the registers at the time of the panic.

Use 'id %rip'  (or 'id %eip') to get the instruction which caused
the panic.

Use 'md' to examine memory as necessary.

Use 'cpu 2' to switch the debugger context to cpu 2 (or whatever core you
want to look at the state of).

Read and understand the intel architecture documents volume 1 2 and 3.

The help command is useful.

There are man pages in the kdb patch for all the commands.  Read and
understand.

scott