kdb

Re: Does SuSE 9.1 Pro have kdb built in??

To: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.kernel.2004@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Does SuSE 9.1 Pro have kdb built in??
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 12:27:54 +1000
Cc: "Dunn, Charles" <CDunn@xxxxxxxxxxx>, kdb@xxxxxxxxxxx, anton@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: kdb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:03:50 +0200,
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.kernel.2004@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Keith Owens schrieb:
>> I will see about getting SuSE 9.1 updated to kdb v4.4.
>
>Keith: About getting SUSE 9.1 updated to kdb v4.4, I doubt it will happen
>because version upgrades introduce bigger chances of breakage than small
>bugfixes. However, past experience suggests they will have the latest
>_stable_ kernel patches when they release their next product. You could
>watch the directory mentioned above in the meantime.

I had come to the same conclusion.  kdb v4.4 should be in SuSE 9.2[*],
SuSE 9.1 will stay on kdb v4.3.

[*] Assuming that we can get the ppc64 tree upgraded to kdb v4.4 at
    some stage.  The ppc developers do not send me kdb patches, instead
    they include kdb in their own bk tree and update it there, with no
    feedback to the list.

    This means that ppc64 tends to trail the rest of kdb, which causes
    problems for distributions that support kdb on multiple
    architectures.  I would really like a separate ppc64 kdb patch so
    it can be tracked and updated as required.