kdb

Re: Does SuSE 9.1 Pro have kdb built in??

To: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Does SuSE 9.1 Pro have kdb built in??
From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.kernel.2004@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:03:50 +0200
Cc: "Dunn, Charles" <CDunn@xxxxxxxxxxx>, kdb@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: kdb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Keith Owens schrieb:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:25:49 -0400,
> "Dunn, Charles" <CDunn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Earlier this month, Keith Owens said:
>>

>>>Ask Redhat (about their patch for kdb).  I do patches against=20
>>>the standard kernels.  Distributors
>>>add their own patches, some of which conflict with kdb, so it is up to
>>>the distributors to add kdb to their tree.  RedHat does not appear to
>>>be interested, SuSE SLES9 has built in kdb.
>>
>>We did ask RedHat, and the answers to this and other questions were bad
>>enough that they failed our qualification.. We are moving on to SuSE..
>>Does anyone on the list know if kdb is built into (or available as a
>>patch) SuSE 9.1 Professional? I tried customer support (talked to a very
>>helpful, pleasant gentleman) but he didn't know about kdb support in 9.1
>>Pro...=20
>

> The kdb v4.3 patch is definitely included in SLES9 (SuSE Linux
> Enterprise Server), not to be confused with SuSE 9.1.  SLES9 is the one
> that SuSE target at big systems; SUSE 9.1 is the personal, home and
> small business version.
>
> I do not have a copy of SuSE 9.1 Professional, but assuming that it
> uses one of these kernels
>
> <suse_mirror>/pub/linux/suse/suse/i386/9.1/suse/src/kernel-source-2.6.4-52.src.rpm
> <suse_mirror>/pub/linux/suse/suse/i386/update/9.1/rpm/src/kernel-source-2.6.5-7.108.src.rpm
>
> then yes, it contains kdb v4.3.  AFAIK kdb is not turned on by default,
> so you have to rebuild the kernel yourself, but at least the patch is
> already integrated.  I will see about getting SuSE 9.1 updated to kdb
> v4.4.

Charles: Only kernel-debug*rpm have kdb turned on by default. IIRC SUSE
9.1 Professional doesn't ship with such a package. However, if you need
kdb you probably also need enterprise grade support and SLES9 would be the
way to go. You can download an evaluation version at
http://www.novell.com/products/linuxenterpriseserver/eval.html
The fully functional SLES9 eval should enable you to test kdb and other
features (provided you install the right rpm).

There is a lesser known service by SUSE where they make daily snapshots of
their current test kernels available at
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/i386/
You will find kernel-debug*rpm there. These kernels normally contain an
activated kdb, but all kernels in this directory have an EXPERIMENTAL
nature and you get to keep the pieces if it breaks. Please do not use them
on production systems.

Keith: About getting SUSE 9.1 updated to kdb v4.4, I doubt it will happen
because version upgrades introduce bigger chances of breakage than small
bugfixes. However, past experience suggests they will have the latest
_stable_ kernel patches when they release their next product. You could
watch the directory mentioned above in the meantime.

HTH,
Carl-Daniel
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/