kdb

Re: Does SuSE 9.1 Pro have kdb built in??

To: "Dunn, Charles" <CDunn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Does SuSE 9.1 Pro have kdb built in??
From: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:06:38 +1000
Cc: kdb@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: kdb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:25:49 -0400,
"Dunn, Charles" <CDunn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Earlier this month, Keith Owens said:
>
>> Ask Redhat (about their patch for kdb).  I do patches against=20
>> the standard kernels.  Distributors
>> add their own patches, some of which conflict with kdb, so it is up to
>> the distributors to add kdb to their tree.  RedHat does not appear to
>be
>> interested, SuSE SLES9 has built in kdb.
>
>We did ask RedHat, and the answers to this and other questions were bad
>enough that they failed our qualification.. We are moving on to SuSE..
>Does anyone on the list know if kdb is built into (or available as a
>patch) SuSE 9.1 Professional? I tried customer support (talked to a very
>helpful, pleasant gentleman) but he didn't know about kdb support in 9.1
>Pro...=20

The kdb v4.3 patch is definitely included in SLES9 (SuSE Linux
Enterprise Server), not to be confused with SuSE 9.1.  SLES9 is the one
that SuSE target at big systems; SUSE 9.1 is the personal, home and
small business version.

I do not have a copy of SuSE 9.1 Professional, but assuming that it
uses one of these kernels

<suse_mirror>/pub/linux/suse/suse/i386/9.1/suse/src/kernel-source-2.6.4-52.src.rpm
<suse_mirror>/pub/linux/suse/suse/i386/update/9.1/rpm/src/kernel-source-2.6.5-7.108.src.rpm

then yes, it contains kdb v4.3.  AFAIK kdb is not turned on by default,
so you have to rebuild the kernel yourself, but at least the patch is
already integrated.  I will see about getting SuSE 9.1 updated to kdb
v4.4.