kdb

Re: can't enter KDB after panic?

To: Keith Owens <kaos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: can't enter KDB after panic?
From: Ken Preslan <kpreslan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:31:22 -0600
Cc: kdb@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-kdb@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 03:13:28PM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:
> The solution is to use the NMI watchdog which always interrupts, as
> long as the hardware is not totally frozen.  SMP boxes automatically
> have the NMI watchdog.  The kdb patch includes NMI for UP boxes, under
> the processor type menu.
>
> Mind you, a panic should drop into kdb after printing the registers.
> Did you select "kdb off by default" in the config or boot with
> "kdb=off"?

No version of KDB I've ever used has automaticaly dropped into KDB
on a panic() call.  An oops, yes, but not a panic.

I did a bit more research.  I only see this problem on SMP 2.4 machines.
A UP 2.4 machine works fine (without the NMI watchdog switches, even).
SMP and UP 2.2.18/kdb-v1.5 work fine too.

I'm not specifiying kdb off in the config or on the boot command line.
(I can use ctrl-A before a panic and it works, so KDB isn't off.)

I'm using the exact same KDB config lines that Alan said he was using.
(But he's using a UP machine.)

Is there something I should be doing to set up the NMI watchdog on a SMP box?

--
Ken Preslan <kpreslan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Code Monkey