info-inventor-dev

How to compile on IRIX ?

To: info-inventor-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: How to compile on IRIX ?
From: Rasmus Tamstorf <tamstorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:18:25 -0700
Sender: owner-info-inventor-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
I'm trying to do what I thought would be a simple thing : compile inventor
on IRIX (6.5.11m). However, I don't get very far, so here's a couple of
questions (I'm using the 2.1.5-7 tar-ball of the source code) :

First of all, what's the idea behind using the '-nostdlib' option for the
linker (see make/commondefs) ?

Secondly, given that '-nostdlib' is used and that the ppp module
(tools/ppp) uses '-lm', what's the appropriate way to specify the path for
libm.so ? I can add

LLDOPTS = -L/usr/lib32

to tools/ppp/GNUmakefile, but that's only good for N32 builds. Not for O32
or 64 bit builds. I've tried to do

LLDOPTS_N32 = -L/usr/lib32

but that doesn't work (fails when linking ppp, because libm.so can't be
found), and

LLDOPTS_N32_M4 = -L/usr/lib32

doesn't work either.

Now, talking about O32, N32 and friends there is obviously a whole family
of settings (see make/commondefs). What's the official way to select one
of these when building ? I'm using

gmake OBJECT_STYLE=N32_M4 install

at the top level, and that seems to work, but should I be setting
something else too ?

Finally (once I get past 'ppp') I run into the following problem :

gmake[1]: Entering directory
`/share/pub/inventor/inventor-2.1.5-7-IRIX/src/libFL'
if [ ! -L freetype ]; then ln -s ang freetype; fi
/bin/sh: syntax error at line 1 : `;' unexpected
gmake[1]: *** [install] Error 2

This might be related to the fact that I don't set 'FREETYPE', but I'm not
sure what else I should set it to when I want to use the native SGI font
library.

Thanks for any help.
Rasmus

Rasmus.Tamstorf@xxxxxxxxxx         "A problem worthy of attack,
Walt Disney Feature Animation       proves its worth by hitting back" Kumbel