fam

Fam: Fatal misconfiguration

To: fam@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fam: Fatal misconfiguration
From: Robert Christensen <rob_c_nj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 01:01:24 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: fam-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Sirs,

I am having a problem with my FAM.  I deleted some
lines in a file that contained strings for 'nobody'??
I don't know what I was thinking.

When I try to open fam in the shell, I get a 'Fatal
misconfiguration: attempted to use unknown user name
"nobody" for untrusted-user'

and when I try open the file > search for files from
the toolchest, I get a 'famd died' response; or a
could not connect with /usr/etc/fam.

Upon booting up, I get 3 popup's that say ...

'The File Alteration Monitor has stopped responding.
This may cause the background and File Manager to be
inaccurate.

To fix this problem, it is recommended that you save
all your work, log out, and log back in.'

I am certain that it has to do with my incorrect
deletion of these lines.  I don't remember the file or
the syntax.  Any thoughts, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,
Robert

=====