fam

Re: [fam] installing in RH7??

To: unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)
Subject: Re: [fam] installing in RH7??
From: Nick Hudson <nhudson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:09:37 -0500
Cc: fam@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-fam@xxxxxxxxxxx
Rusty Ballinger wrote:

> >     Im trying to install fam on RH7 and it doesnt seem to be working
> > with I compile the source this is what i get:
>
> Does adding
>
>   #include <stdlib.h>

Ok I did that and it all installed with no erros that time thats the
fam-oss-2.6.4 file and still when i try to start efm it says fam is bad!!  But
it compiled and installed with no errors??

> to the top of test.c++ make it work on your system?
>
> > This is what i get when i try and install it via rpm:
> >
> > [root@Blackhawk My Documents]# rpm -Uvh --force fam*
> > fam
> > ##################################################
> > Adding fam to rpc...
> > Adding fam to inetd.conf...
> > Restarting inetd...
> > inetd: no process killed
> > execution of fam-2.6.4-1 script failed, exit status 1
> > [root@Blackhawk My Documents]#
> >

> > Now Ive asked the redhat mail group about inetd.conf and they tell me
> > that redhat 7 doesnt use that anymore that it uses the xinetd.conf
> > now.   So what can I do?? Or what can I change in the code to let me
> > install fam???  Any ideas??
>
> First, you might see if rpm really did install fam.  (I know that if a
> pre-uninstall-script fails during package removal, rpm will leave the
> package installed, even if it uninstalled packages the installed package
> depends on; no idea what state it leaves things in if a post-install script
> fails.)
>
> If it really didn't install fam, try running the rpm command again, but with
> the --noscripts argument.  This should keep the fam rpm from trying to
> restart inetd.
>
> Then you'll probably have to edit xinetd.conf yourself.  (Nuts!)  I don't
> know what xinetd.conf looks like; can you post a few lines from your existing
> xinetd.conf file, and we'll see if we can guess what delightful new syntax it
> uses?
>
> Then I would say you'll need to tell inetd (or whatever equivalent RedHat 7
> uses) to reread its configuration file, but my ability to guess how to do
> that is inversely proportional to the extent to which they changed it.  (Did
> the RedHat guys mention *why* they changed it?)
>
> --Rusty

The RH ppl didnt say why the changed it they just said that RH doesnt use the
inetd.conf file anymore......   But i looked and i have a inted.conf file in my
/etc directory and this what it looks like:

./lost+found
./boot
./boot/lost+found
./boot/kernel.h-2.4.0
./boot/kernel.h
./boot/System.map-2.2.16-22
./boot/module-info-2.2.16-22
./boot/vmlinux-2.2.16-22
./boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
./boot/vmlinuz
./boot/System.map
./boot/module-info
./boot/kernel.h-2.2.16
./boot/boot.b
./boot/chain.b
./boot/message
./boot/os2_d.b
./boot/boot.0300
./boot/map
./proc
./proc/dri
./proc/dri/0
"/etc/inetd.conf" 142899L, 7556074C

and so on ..........  now I do also have a xinetd.conf file but it looks nothing
like this at all i donno why its like this.... here it is .......:

#
# Simple configuration file for xinetd
#
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/

defaults
{
        instances               = 60
        log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
        log_on_success          = HOST PID
        log_on_failure          = HOST RECORD
}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d

thats what that looks like and i was like what the hell when i saw it doesnt
make sence how they both could do the same thing????  weird heh maybe with the
rest of the bugs with RH7 that people have seen i donno.  See what you can come
up with with that if you need anything else let me know .....

Thx
Nick Hudson