dmsdk

Digital Media on Irix 6.5 AES output question

To: dmsdk@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Digital Media on Irix 6.5 AES output question
From: Calle Lejdfors <calle@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:45:09 +0200
Sender: owner-dmsdk@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hello.

I am currently working on a project that aims to build a parallell
multistream MPEG-2 decoder for SGI Onyx2 (and similair) machines. We
have an external AC-3 decoder/effect box hooked up via the AES digital
interface on the Onyx2.
It is easy to play raw PCM samples and use the effect box to
manipulate the sound.

My problem is that I want to write raw undecoded AC-3 frames directly
via the AES channel and have the external decoder handle them instead
of doing the decoding in software.
Is this possible using AL (audio library) or do I have to access the
raw device and write the correctly packed stream myself.

Thanks, Calle

PS I know that this might be the wrong forum for this type of
questions since this is the Linux dmSDK but, please, if you know
anything about this please reply.