devfs

Shutdown problems.

To: devfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Shutdown problems.
From: BUSCAIDEAS@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:51:21 +0100
Sender: owner-devfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dear sirs,

This is my first mail in this list. I write you because I have recently
recompiled a 2.4.17 linux kernel on top of a RH7.2 system to test devfs
and it was just a matter of following the instructions in the documentation
of the kernel. The configuration makes use of /dev-state to save ownerships
from boot to boot. (Yes, I have changed /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit according
to instructions and uncommented the suggested lines in /etc/devfsd.conf).

It works basically right and now /dev looks much prettier and cleaner on
my system. Just a couple of questions:

1) When loading, there is an error in "Copying /dev-state/fb to /dev/fb".
However, then it works fine. Maybe, is there a need to build a tarfile
for that devices?

2) The most serious comes when shuting down. I get the following messages
almost at the end (while it is unmounting everything)
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: devfs: not found
umount: /dev: Illegal seek
//////////////////////////////////////////
and, then, it does not halt, it simply rests stopped (but the system is
not locked as it accepts rebooting).
I am not sure whether this is a problem with devfs or with some option that
I forgot when configuring the kernel. Anyway, looking at the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/halt script, I suspect that, maybe, there is some kind
of problem with the order in which devfsd daemon is killed and /dev is
unmounted. Another point is that the script tries to remount read-only
/dev/root (scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 in my system) in order to
execute the very last commands (halt itself) at a moment when I suspect
that /dev has been unmounted (so it becomes frozen because it does not
find the command).

However, I am not very sure of those thoughts, so I ask here whether something
else has a system like mine and whether he has had to reoganize the halt
script in some way. Mainly, in which order must one kill devfsd, umount /dev
(it should be better remount it read-only, I suppose) and halting the
system.

Yours faithfully,
--
Juan Pablo Hierro Álvarez
Clave pública: 0xA8707ADF en pgp.rediris.es