devfs

Re: devfs/cdrom problem

To: Gary Shea <shea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: devfs/cdrom problem
From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:14:20 -0700
Cc: devfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-devfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Gary Shea writes:
> On a slightly different topic, I was reading some old mails, and found
> this in the linux kernel list (as I recall...):
>
> ----------
> From: Richard Gooch (rgooch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
> Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 13:23:57 EST
>
> Rask Ingemann Lambertsen writes:
> > Den 02-Jul-00 10:54:55 skrev Xuan Baldauf følgende om "devfs: whereis
> > my ide-cdrom":
> > >Hello,
> >
> > >I have an IDE cdrom drive formerly known as /dev/hdc:
> > [cut]
> > >but it does not appear in the devfs namespace in
> > >linux-2.4.0-test2-ac2:
> >
> > >notebook2:/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0 # dir
> > [cut]
> >
> > >So it is a bug?
> >
> > [...] Check /dev/ide/host1/bus0/target0/lun0 instead.
>

> Correct. Each IDE interface is a separate host. Thus the secondary is
> host1.
> ---------
>
> I read this and thought, ok, this makes sense.  Only problem is, I
> now have exactly the same situation.  My drive is /dev/hdc (or used
> to be), but now it's /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd.  Note
> host0, not host1 (there's no host1 at all).  Was this momentary
> confusion or am I totally missing something?

Hm. I've just checked on a 2.4.7 box, which has hda (master on primary
interface) and hdc (master on secondary interface).

hda is /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0
hdc is /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0

So either I was wrong, or something has changed.

In any case, is something not working, or are you just surprised?

                                Regards,

                                        Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Current:   rgooch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx