devfs

Amusing (slightly OT)

To: unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)
Subject: Amusing (slightly OT)
From: Jan-Albert Venter <JAVenter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:06:26 +0200
Cc: devfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-devfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
About 80% of the programs that make up my Linux system at home is Alpha or
early Beta code, mostly because I feel that besides my own GPL programs
using these, fixing and reporting bugs etc. is a way to give something back
to the community.

Hence I have been playing with devfs from very early on, shortly after I
installed it, (which happened at the same time as severall pieces of
Hardware work) I experienced a very strange problem, I could not hear CD's
playing. CD-rom was fine (tested in the headphone jack) soundcard played
everything else just peachy. So I began to wonder if the cd-apps didn't have
trouble mapping the devfsd compatibility devices.
My suspicions was further aroused by the fact that my miniature (for games)
windows install was playing them just fine. For weeks I was digging in code,
playing with this and that etc. trying to find the source of the problem.
Untill one day after grudginly rebooting into windows to play a CD (I have a
$1000 sound system on my PC - I aint buying no hi-fi too) I discovered that
the cd-rom software volume controll wasn't working. After three minutes I
learned that the modem-feed was controlling the sound, thus I dug deeper and
discovered that after my hardware work, I had plugged the cd-rom sound cable
into the wrong input on the sound-card.

just goes to show, all bugs are human error, be it developer or operator
error being beside the point.

Ciao
A.J. Venter