csa

Re: Availability

To: Erik Jacobson <erikj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Availability
From: John Logsdon <j.logsdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:54:13 +0100 (GMT)
Cc: Robin Holt <holt@xxxxxxx>, csa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: csa-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Erik, Robin, all

Thanks for the immediate responses.  I was just composing a reply to
Robin's so I may as well put it all together.

It is the job and user based accounting that is very interesting in CSA
but other aspects of the implementation are more complete than the BSD
version. I will see what happens...

At the moment I have grsecurity-based accounting which is process based.
This has a lot of advantages for looking at individual programs and
reports elapsed and cpu times by UID, GID, EUID, EGID and parent process.
I may still retain that - it is hooked in a completely different place to
BSD so I suspect also to CSA so it shouldn't interfere.  The current grsec
kernel is 2.4.27 - there are one or two non-grsec security issues that
fixes over 2.4.26.  Other than the grsec parts, the kernel is vanilla and
I compile it without modules.

I don't want to use the 2.6 kernel as yet - while it has advantages for
example in the scheduler (I am using a Xeon-based box) it is a little too
early to use on a production system.  Maybe you bleeding-edge guys will
think differently but I have to be conservative in this application.  So
the real issue for me is 2.4.x and the .28 kernel is still in pre-release
phase.  Surely in time the 2.6 kernel will be fine.  I have a little time
to decide on this - process accounting is not required tomorrow but
probably before 2.6 takes over completely from 2.4.

Since CSA requires PAGG, in due course it would be appropriate to combine
the patches but I guess you can always append the patch files and run it
in one go.  What's the JOB patch?  I don't see it on the SGI project list.
(Actually your ftp server seems to hang episodically, particularly on IE).

Best wishes

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx              a.einstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com