csa

Re: Availability

To: John Logsdon <j.logsdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Availability
From: Robin Holt <holt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:54:48 -0500
Cc: Erik Jacobson <erikj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robin Holt <holt@xxxxxxx>, csa@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: csa-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 02:54:13PM +0100, John Logsdon wrote:
> Erik, Robin, all
>
> Thanks for the immediate responses.  I was just composing a reply to
> Robin's so I may as well put it all together.
>
> It is the job and user based accounting that is very interesting in CSA
> but other aspects of the implementation are more complete than the BSD
> version. I will see what happens...

csa will record accounting stats on process exits, but only when the
jobid is non-zero.  You could hack that up quickly.  So far, there
have been a few requests to do that, but it never gets a lot of traction
as it defeats the purpose of job based accounting.  Usually, this type
of accounting is used at large shops that want to attribute resource
usage back to a customer and do not really care about system accounting.

Thanks,
Robin